The Mamba's Meaning to Me

For those that haven't looked at any news outlet, Kobe Bryant passed away today (January 26th) at the age of 41 in a helicopter crash.

I'm 31 years old. I graduated high school in 2007 and have played basketball since the 4th grade. Needless to say, Kobe Bryant was a big part of my youth. I never would have considered myself a "fan," but more of an admirer. I am a Bulls fan through and through, but you could not ignore Kobe's greatness. His fierceness, competitiveness, work ethic, drive, and many other countless ways to describe him doesn't even scratch the surface.

He was excited to begin the next stage of life post basketball. It wasn't until after his career that I did fully become a fan. It was apparent that he was a great father who supported his daughters completely. He devoted his time and energy now to helping his daughters be successful with their hopes and dreams. 

He also still had some of his own goals to accomplish as well. Not long after his retirement from the NBA he won an Oscar for a documentary and started a show called Detailed on ESPN where he broke down basketball plays. Truly amazing listening to him talk basketball. Whatever he chose to do would be done to the fullest and not cut corners.

Kobe was also an extremely intelligent individual. Having spent part of his childhood in Italy, he grew up learning about the world. He became fluent in multiple languages and continued to commit to learning more about other cultures.

I connect with Kobe as both a lover of basketball and as a lover of the world. I am truly saddened that the world will no longer have Kobe Bryant shining his light in it anymore, but I will choose to remember the examples he has set for athletes and people alike. 


No comments:

Post a Comment