A Weekend in Dallas/Ft. Worth & an Airport Nightmare!

 

As the weather gets warmer and Covid-19 numbers continue to fall across the country, travel becomes the number one thought on the mind of many Americans. It's certainly the number one thought in this American's head! A quick trip visiting a friend in the Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) area seemed to be the best way to dip my toe back in the proverbial travel water. 

This was my first flight since my epic Southeast Asia trip of 2019. I was a tad nervous about the experience. One reason was due to the nature of airports. Reading articles and hearing anecdotal accounts of friends is wonderful, but experiencing something is always the truest form of knowledge. The other anxiety-inducing aspect of the trip was the location. Texas has been a hotbed of Covid-19 with high numbers throughout 2020 and early 2021.

AIRPORTS    

Being from Chicago, I flew out of O'Hare International Airport. For those that may be unfamiliar with Chicago, O'Hare is one of the busiest airports in the United States, and, before Covid-19, it was among the busiest in the world. As for DFW, I flew in to DFW International Airport, also one of the busier airports in the country. Check out this USA Today article from 2019 for more airport stats.

Despite both airports being known for the amount of people shuttling through to all different parts of the world, I never felt like crowds were an issue. I may have cheated a bit though. I flew during "off times." My departure from O'Hare was at 7am, and my departure from DFW was at 11:30pm (after an hour delay). These irregular times provided for a smooth security check that, at its longest, took maybe five minutes. 

However, my return to airports wasn't all positive. My flight back to Chicago on Sunday night was delayed an hour, which made my arrival time close to 2am. I grew anxious because I was flying American Airlines, who just announced a massive canceling of flights into July. Luckily, my flight was not canceled, but the worst part of my trip happened upon my arrival when I went to grab a taxi: there were no taxis. The line of people waiting for a taxi stretched about a full city block. To complicate matters, there were few if any Uber drivers out and about. 

This points to a larger travel problem: supply and demand. As more and more travelers want to take to the skies and visit more and more cities, the strain on the transportation system becomes blatantly apparent. Many airlines either furloughed or fired employees and are struggling to deal with the increase in travelers. Flights that cannot find pilots or flight attendants are forced to cancel, which is American Airlines' current problem. 

On the Uber side of things, many drivers opted out of the service for health and safety reasons during the pandemic. As people are willing to go out and explore cities more, it is becoming difficult to find drivers, especially in the cases of large social events. Even worse is the fact that rates are being driven up to absurd levels. On the chance an Uber was found at O'Hare, it would have cost me between $99 to $150 to get home; in comparison a normal ride might cost between $40 and $60. 

All that being said, my advice is as follows:

  1. Be Kind. Pilots, flight attendants, gate personnel, ride share drivers, and fellow travelers are all struggling with the return to normal, and many times bumps in the road are not one individual's fault. 
  2. Be Flexible. Delays, cancelations, and other assorted roadblocks can occur. So make sure you're aware and schedule/plan accordingly to make your trip go as smoothly as possible.
  3. Be Prepared. Covid-19 numbers may be decreasing, but that doesn't mean some spots are fully open or have started rolling back their mandates. Check to make sure the things you want to see, activities you want to do, and places you want to eat are all open (they may have also changed operating hours). Also, bring a mask. If they ask you to wear it, please be respectful to their policies. 

DALLAS/FT. WORTH

Alright, with all of the airport stuff out of the way, it is time to talk travel!

The first thing I have to say about the DFW area is that I was pleasantly surprised by their public transportation options. Between the two large cities and the major airport, they offer a convenient and easy-to-learn train system that offers a cheap alternative to taxis or ride shares. I highly encourage travelers to take advantage if you plan on commuting between these two cities.

The first city I visited was Dallas. I only had a half day or so that I could spend here before meeting up with my friend in Ft. Worth that evening. With such little time to explore, there was only one thing on my list: Dealey Plaza and the 6th Floor Museum

You may be thinking, "That's random, what could be so great about a plaza or a museum?" Well, if you're asking those questions, you're unfamiliar with one of the most morbidly iconic moments in American history: the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. That's right, JFK was driving through Dealey Plaza when a sniper shot at him from the 6th floor of a Texas school book depository building. As a history nerd, I wanted to learn more about that ominous day and solemnly mourn the life that was lost. 

The museum itself (pictured above) features displays detailing JFK's political accomplishments and failures while chronicling the popularity that he and his family held. For me, the most jaw-dropping part of the museum is a reconstructed corner of the floor, setting the scene of where the sniper was when he fired his shots. You can stand at a window nearby to get a similar view of the street below and imagine the President waving to supporters moments before his life would come to an end. 

While many walked from display to display, happily chatting with family or friends about what they were reading, I got the sense that most missed the point. They weren't walking in some dusty museum that holds dinosaur bones from millions of years ago. They were treading upon a crime scene where a murderer took his position to assassinate a President of the United States mere yards away and only fifty-eight years ago. On the street below, there are "x's" marked on the street that approximate when a President was shot. To me, this location is not only educational, it's eerie. 

I took several hours to read all of the information, listen to all of his speeches, and ponder how someone could be waving happily to supporters only to be carried away in a coffin some two hours later. Other people people probably took less time to peruse the offerings of the museum. 

Outside the museum, I took the opportunity to enjoy lunch near fountains on the plaza and wander around the grassy knoll (pictured above), which is the subject of much speculation. All in all, it was a very satisfying way to spend an afternoon.


FT. WORTH

The sprawling city of Ft. Worth was much more uplifting (to no fault of Dallas). After getting off the train, I strolled through the downtown. I spent some more time with JFK at his statue next to the hotel where he spent his final night. Then I continued on to Sundance Plaza in the heart of Ft. Worth. 

Sundance Plaza is the reason I travel. A lovely Friday night, beautiful fountains and artwork, a shaded bench to relax, live music echoing around the plaza, and people bustling around going to dinner or their favorite bar. I could have sat at that spot for hours. I met up with my friend and his family for dinner at a wonderful sushi place called Little Lilly

Saturday started with lunch at Rudy's, maybe my favorite food spot in Texas. The moist brisket is a must have, but any of their options are phenomenal. After lunch I headed to Arlington for a Texas Rangers game. Let me tell you, there is no good way of getting to Arlington without a car. My only option was Uber, and it was pricey. The game itself was quite lovely though. Globe Life Park (pictured above) is a brand new ballpark that boasts a retractable roof, which allows its patrons to enjoy a game in the shade instead of the unbearable summer heat. The ballpark was beautiful, accommodating, and spacious. The only anxiety-producing aspect of it was that the vast majority of the thirty-four thousand person crowd were not wearing masks. 

Sunday was a true tourist day in Ft. Worth. My friend and I went out to the infamous Stockyards. Famous for its ranching and rodeo history, tourists flock to this Western throwback region of the city. Rodeos are still a prominent fixture of the stockyards, happening every Friday and Saturday night. Billy Bob's (poster pictured to the left), the largest honky tonk in the world, also holds bull riding events as well as numerous concerts. 

My friend and I arrived just in time to watch a parade of longhorn cattle (pictured below) stroll by a large crowd of onlookers. We spent most of our day dipping into bar after bar, sampling their adult beverages and trying some of their delectable cuisine. Specifically, we checked out the White Elephant, Love Shack, Longhorn Saloon, and a charming place called Filthy McNasty's. There are plenty of things to keep the little ones interested if you bring kids. There are reenactors everywhere putting on shows or interacting with patrons. There are also plenty of photo-ops with various farm animals. If you couldn't tell, there are two types of Stockyards: the daytime family oriented version and the rowdier party atmosphere of the evening.  

   

Unfortunately, my time in Texas had come to a quick end after a full day at the Stockyards. Next time, I plan to visit the Ft. Worth Zoo, which comes very highly recommended. I also would like to visit a shooting range and a few state parks in the area (Dinosaur Valley State Park). 


REFLECTION SECTION

Usually, I wrap up my travel posts with the locations I spent the most time reflecting on life and my travels. On this occasion, I've already mentioned both spots in the above sections! 

For Dallas, the 6th Floor Museum and surrounding Dealey Plaza offer a wonderful spot to sit and reflect on life and what one could accomplish even when given a relatively short amount of time. I truly appreciated my visit and encourage others to take their time when exploring the area.

For Ft. Worth, Sundance Plaza offered a chance to sit and enjoy the environment around me. It was peaceful yet bustling, quiet yet boisterous, and relaxing yet energizing. I look forward to my return and exploring the area more thoroughly.


Hope this was an entertaining and illuminating read. If you liked this and want to check out more of my travel blogs, check out the links below!

Singapore        Bayfield, Wisconsin

Edinburgh        North Dakota

Ireland            South Dakota

                       Iowa/Omaha

                       Wyoming

No comments:

Post a Comment