Bayfield, Wisconsin: My Favorite Place in the World


Bayfield, Wisconsin has received its share of attention over the years as one of the "Best Coastal Small Towns," "Best Midwest Small-Town Getaway," or, just simply, the "Best Little Town." To me, Bayfield is a lifetime of memories that wash over me each time I return, just as the waves of Lake Superior wash over the sands of its many beaches. 

I have a long history of visiting Bayfield over the last thirty plus years. Much of my love for Wisconsin's smallest city is personal and rooted in a perpetually strengthening nostalgia. Each time I return to this serene Northwoods getaway, I'm greeted by the familiar smell of the trees and flowers, the sound of waves lapping up against the shore, and the sense of peacefulness that soothes an often preoccupied soul.  


Being the gateway to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Bayfield offers a number of options to explore the islands. Hiking Trails, beaches, lighthouses, and fishing spots are just some of the highlights the lakeshore offers. Cruises, private boating options, ferries, and kayaks are the primary modes of navigating the islands. 


My favorite activities include exploring the many hiking trails, occasionally taking a tour of the islands, golfing (Apostle Highlands Golf Course pictured above), and hanging out by the lake. 


My favorite hiking trail is the Gil Larsen Nature Trail in downtown Bayfield, which I do every year (sometimes multiple times per visit). The trail features a creek, beautiful foliage, and spectacular views of an old iron bridge (pictured above). When I was younger, the trail was brief but worthwhile. In 2020, I noticed that they're expanding the trail, and I cannot wait to explore further down the creek into the woods next time I'm in town.


Another one of my favorite trails is Houghton Falls, located about 10 miles south of Bayfield off of state highway 13. The hike itself is quite simple, offering an enjoyable experience for all ages and abilities. The real highlight for some is the rocky beach at the end of the trail. The stone slabs offer a nice jumping point for those brave enough to test the chilly waters of Lake Superior. The jump itself is only five to ten feet into the water (pictured below is the jumping off point). 


I tried the jump for the first time in July 2020, and it was wonderfully refreshing. The climb out of the water and back to the stone diving platform can be a little tricky, so I'd recommend only physically capable people attempt the jump and swim. The water in the area of the jump is about seven or eight feet deep, so best not to dive head first. There are some rocks close to the shore, so make sure you look before you leap! Also, there are flies that can be quite annoying at any time of day, so I suggest either being or staying a bit further back from the water. Below is another beautiful view from this trail (look closely to spot me swimming in the cool waters of Lake Superior).


My future hiking goals include visiting as many of the Apostle Islands as possible and thoroughly exploring them. It has been quite a large goal of mine the last several years, so hopefully I can find a way to accomplish this adventurous task.

Speaking of the islands, I've only visited two of them: Madeline Island and Raspberry Island. You can't visit Bayfield without visiting Madeline Island. Madeline is the largest of the Apostle Islands, featuring several beaches, restaurants, shops, and a couple of excellent parks. Depending on your personal fitness, you can choose to walk, bike, or drive to your desired Madeline destination. 


If you choose to walk, there is a small beach (view from beach pictured above) about a half mile from the ferry, and you will pass shops and restaurants on your way. If you choose to bike or drive, Big Bay Town Park and Big Bay State Park are the two primary destinations. Personally, I prefer Big Bay Town Park, which features breathtaking views of an inlet (pictured below) that many kayak or paddleboard around. The ferry ride in itself can be a memory-inducing experience. I remember my aunt and I walking on to the ferry around sunset after grabbing ice cream at a nearby shop, taking in the spectacular dusk views. 

Raspberry Island features a spectacular lighthouse (pictured below) that was built in 1862 and renovated in 2006. You can tour the lighthouse and go up to the light for stunning views of the surrounding lake. There are two hiking trails on the island that I have yet to explore, but mark my words, it's near the top of my Bayfield bucket list!



While there are two small beaches on either side of Bayfield (one of which is pictured above), many visitors favor Friendly Valley Beach (below on the left), which is just a ten minute drive south of the town. If you're looking for a more remote beach, I'd suggest driving to Cornucopia. The beach (pictured below on the right) is fantastic, and you might spot some bald eagles flying overhead! There are also plenty of hikes to explore in the area, so bring a packed lunch and enjoy.



Pro tip: Beware of when you're visiting a hiking trail or beach early in the morning or at dusk - mosquitos can be a bit of a problem in the summer months.




If you are not interested in the more active outdoor lifestyle, that is ok too. Bayfield has many other leisurely pleasures. The cruises are a great and relaxing way to see the islands. I highly recommend the Grand Tour cruise. It is a fantastic way to see everything, and the captains always have wonderful stories and insights about the area. Other cruises offered include Sea Caves and Lighthouses and Wrecks, Rocks, and Lighthouses. 




Another very popular attraction among locals and visitors alike is the Big Top Chautauqua. They have concerts and shows running throughout the summer season. My favorite show is Riding the Wind, which is essentially a musical history of the Bayfield area. If you're visiting Bayfield, I highly suggest you make an effort to check them out and support the artists and musicians who put so much of themselves into their craft.

A favorite stop of mine is the Bayfield Winery. They offer a wonderful selection of wines and have an outdoor sitting area if you want to have a snack with your wine. I go for the tastings so I can choose which wines my friends back home would like the most. I haven't disappointed them yet!

The winery is nestled amongst berry farms and orchards about a five minute drive north of the town. Depending on the season, many people head to this region to pick blueberries, raspberries, strawberries (pictured below), or apples. Erickson's is the place I frequent most, and I've never been disappointed. 



After mentioning wine and berries, you're probably wondering about restaurant options. There are plenty in the small little town: Greunke's, The Pier (pictured below), the Rittenhouse, Morty's Pub, Manypenny Bistro, Maggie's, and The Bayfield Inn, among others. 


I tend to frequent The Pier, Maggie's, and The Bayfield Inn's rooftop deck the most often. From time to time, you might catch live music on the rooftop of the Bayfield Inn or in the park (pictured below) next to the iconic hotel. If you're looking for a late night drink or place to watch a sporting event, I'd suggest The Pier, Morty's Pub, or the Creamery (a bar down the street from the Bayfield Inn).

 

Bayfield has changed throughout the years. Some of my fondest memories include visiting The Candy Shoppe for ice cream after dinner, going to see a show at Big Top Chautauqua, and eating dinner at the iconic Maggie's restaurant. Unfortunately, The Candy Shoppe (pictured below) has since closed its doors. There have been whispers about the Big Top leaving its iconic tent setup for an indoor venue, and Maggie's has changed ownership recently (hopefully they'll remain open).  


The Covid-19 pandemic has not been kind to businesses and individuals in the area. Many of the festivals that bring tourists and funds to the area were postponed, causing some of the changes mentioned above. Now more than ever, Bayfield needs visitors to return and support local businesses. 

I find it difficult to write about Bayfield because I struggle to find words that appropriately detail how much I love the area. I hope that I have done Bayfield justice in this piece. I'll endeavor to continue writing about this wonderful lakeside paradise, but in the meantime, I hope that everyone who reads this will take the time and visit Bayfield, my favorite place in the world.



Feel free to reach out to me personally on my Twitter or Instagram @Daniel_Allen44 for any tips or travel advice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment