Athletic Training in a Small Town


I grew up on the southwest side of Chicago surrounded by a seemingly endless expanse of neighborhoods, high schools, and people. So when I took my first job in Muncie, Indiana, it is fair to say I had a bit of a culture shock. 

For those that don’t know, Muncie is a moderately sized town between Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne. Most recognize it as the home of Ball State University. At the time, I was working for Central Indiana Orthopedics as a physician extender, which then contracted me out to Blackford High School. The high school is roughly forty minutes north of Muncie in Hartford City, Indiana, surrounded by a seemingly endless expanse of corn or soybeans, farm animals, and occasional forests. 

After I became adjusted to my new setting, I came to realize just how much I enjoyed being there. For those hesitant to consider a position in a small town, let me share with you three advantages to working in a rural area that you may not have considered.

Easy Communication with Medical Professionals

Central Indiana Orthopedics, CIO, is a fantastic sports medicine facility with doctors specializing in a variety of orthopedic injuries. CIO is one of the largest, most established orthopedic facilities between Ft. Wayne and Indy, which helps make it the preferred choice for the community whenever a child needs to see a doctor. Being a physician extender here provided me the opportunity to learn and develop under their guidance, as well as foster a relationship between Blackford High School and the physicians. 

If an injury occurred during a game or practice, informing the parents and athlete about the staff at CIO was a simple process, as was scheduling them for appointments, which made parents more confident and comfortable about the care provided for their child. This was also advantageous with concussion testing and evaluations, as the doctors were incredibly accommodating with squeezing the athletes into their busy schedules. Establishing this relationship is crucial to the success of small town athletic trainers because, in many cases, resources and options are limited.

Knowing ALL Athletes

According to Athletic Director Tony Uggen, during the 2018-2019 school year, Blackford High School had roughly 511 total students, with about 200 (39%) participating in athletics. Roughly 127 students (64% of athletes and 25% of total students) were two or three season athletes. Mr. Uggen even estimates a few athletes (6-8)  participate in more than one sport per season!

This can be a common experience in small town schools, and it provides a unique opportunity for the athletic trainer. By seeing an athlete through multiple sports and seasons in just one year, you have the chance to learn a great deal about them. Professionally, you more fully learn about their medical conditions and how to treat them; perhaps more rewarding, however, is being able to learn about the athlete as a person, discovering their personality and building a strong rapport. This builds a great level of trust and respect with the athlete and hopefully the parents, which naturally leads me to the most rewarding perk of being a small town athletic trainer…

Being Part of a Community

Having worked in Hartford City for four years as the athletic trainer for Blackford High School, I was blessed to meet many wonderful athletes, parents, coaches, and staff that treated me like one of their own. By helping the Blackford athletes through some of their toughest times and comforting both them and their parents through ACL tears, broken wrists, and concussions, I became part of that Hartford City community. The staff and physicians at CIO were like a support group, often offering advice and lifting my confidence, which was greatly appreciated so early in my career. They helped form and mold me into the athletic trainer I am today. 

So, instead of dreading the idea of being a bit more isolated from a big city or dense population, I say embrace the opportunity to become an integral member of a wonderful and welcoming community. The towns may be small, but the experience is big.   


Check out my other two Athletic Training posts here:

Athletic Training Month

An Experience with Athletic Training in Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment